This 2-day course enables the participant to absorb the full scope of the work of a strategic account manager, and the progression of engagement both internally and with the customer. Candidates will work with case examples to understand job workflow and the specific competencies needed to perform each area of objectives, including: Co-Discovery, Fit and Planning; Co-creation, Monetization and Negotiation; and, Value Tracking and Delivery.
- Module 1: SAM Competencies, Skills, and Tools. During this session, the SAM journey of work and competencies required will be defined. A case will be covered that translates the entire journey into a real-life story. Modern SAM enabling tools will be introduced that will be used to facilitate the course to ensure a heavy focus on how the work is done rather than on conceptual theory.
The breakout in this session will focus on having participants reflect on the SAMA competencies and workflow together with the case and evaluate their needs for skill development throughout their SAMA experience. These skill gaps will be used as a focal point for improvement thru the entire SAMA Training Curriculum.
- Module 2: Co-Discovery, Fit and Planning: The focus of this module is to get participants to think strategically about their accounts. Each participant should walk away with a clear path to having strategic customer conversations that lead to value creation ideas:
The breakout work in this session will focus on the Value Story. This is the key piece of work to enable SAMs to convert from tactical conversation to value creation at the executive level.
- About the Customer: Thinking strategically about the customer’s business situation
- Value Story: Develop the content a SAM would use to have conversations with customers that lead to what customers value today and their ideas for where value creation efforts should be targeted
- Feedback: How to get feedback from customers on their value creation ideas
- Module 3: Co-Creation, Value Monetization and Negotiation: The focal point of this module is to take customer value creation ideas and build business cases around them to get internal and customer approval:
The breakout work in this session will focus heavily on the quantitative outcomes to customer elements of the business case.
- Review the top customer feedback ideas for value creation then monetize, prioritize and decide on which ideas to work on
- Develop planned outcomes for the customer and the internal organization
- Build the projects required to execute the ideas and review with the customer and internal organization to ensure alignment
- Module 4: Value Tracking and Delivery: The focal point of this module is to get into a rhythm of execution internally and with customers to complete and track value creation project outcomes.
The breakout work in this session will focus heavily on building a Quantitative Outcome tracker that can be used internally and with customers.
- Develop an approach to tracking quantified customer outcomes
- Establish value creation project scorecards that are used in the operating rhythm of the internal and customer organization
- Establish internal and customer accountability for executing value creation projects
Faculty: SAMA and Valkre