How can effective co-discovery between you, your account team and your customer put your account planning efforts on an accelerated trajectory to be successful? How do top performing account managers harness the power of value creation, internal and external alignment and authentic customer relationships to drive greater collaboration and develop higher-impact account plans? How can you equip yourself with proven strategic account management (SAM) best practices to drive mutual growth and value creation with your most strategic customers? How can you implement an account planning process that will enable you and your customer to engage, win and grow together? These questions and more will be answered in this high-energy workshop in which participants “try-on” contemporary SAM concepts and best practices proven within the SAMA community. Participants will select a strategic customer and “must-win” opportunity as part of their pre-work before the session, and then apply workshop learnings to this customer and opportunity, ensuring takeaways that can be put to use immediately. Whether your organization has adopted a specific account plan format or not, workshop exercises, group discussions and debriefs will provide takeaways in the form of SAM concepts, skills, tools and best practices that can be applied to the specific challenges facing you and your team today.
- Initiate the account planning process by understanding the current state of performance and relationship between the participant’s own organization and the customer.
- Engage effectively with customer team members to determine what matters most to them, co-discovering customer external pressures and drivers, business objectives and plans, internal challenges and obstacles, as well as their criteria for measurable success.
- Leverage historical value creation with the customer (past proven value) and relevant data to gain momentum and direction for co-discovery, alignment of growth objectives and future value creation.
- Develop and execute co-discovery strategies and activities that will enable the participant and the customer to explore possibilities for mutual value creation and co-creation, and visualize mutual success together through elevated levels of collaboration.
- Understand the customer’s organization and business landscape for the purpose of aligning and mapping key customer stakeholders, sponsors and supporters with the members of the participant’s account team for effective engagement and collaboration.
- Develop and validate new opportunities that result from the participant’s discovery and co-discovery activities with the customer, thus bringing the organizations into closer alignment around shared objectives, priorities and new areas for value creation/co-creation.
- Effectively communicate opportunities for value creation and co-creation, both internally and externally with the customer, ensuring that short and long-term priorities are kept in proper balance and that both parties recognize the potential for mutual growth.
- Facilitate collaboration between the participant’s and customer’s teams resulting in the development and implementation of realistic strategies to grow customer relationships.
- Build, update and deploy the strategic account plan as a management tool for:
- Customer value creation, co-creation and realization
- Effective alignment (both internal with colleagues and cross-functional team members, and externally with the customer’s team)
- Expansion of the customer relationship (including development of customer sponsors and supporters)
- Mutual growth for both organizations.
Faculty: Performance Methods Inc. (PMI)